Wednesday, March 2, 2011

February 25, 2011: Carson's Birth Story

Sorry its been so long...I am gonna try to get back to this since I will be home with Carson for the time being.

Here are the details:

As I was nearing the due date of this pregnancy, my biggest worry was when Carson was going to arrive. I was given high hopes at my 38 week appointment, my doctor told me I was two centimeters dialated and she gave me a 50/50 shot that I would not be in for my next appointment. I admit, I was very excited. So the week came and went. At my 39 week appointment, I had progressed but only a little and the doctor was not so hopeful on Carson coming soon. So by then all I could do was wait. That evening, Travis and I went to pick up my mom and sister who would be staying and helping us with the baby for the next couple of weeks.

The next day, Thursday, my mom, sister, and I went to the store and made plans for the weekend. It was good to have my mom around and I was looking forward to the up coming weekend...little did I know what was about to happen at the time.

At around 3 a.m. on Friday I started having contractions. Honestly at first, I thought they were just gas pains and tried going back to sleep. Up until this point I had not had any "real" contractions, only some Braxton Hicks throughout the day. By about 4 a.m., I knew something was up when these pains didn't go away and were starting to form a pattern. Not knowing for sure, I googled what it was like to start labor. Even though I had read all the books I still wasn't sure. I went back to bed around 5 and told Travis, I was starting to have contractions and that he may need to call in  to work that day. So we laid in bed timing the contractions. They were coming every 10 to 15 minutes. I decided to take a shower to help me relax and Travis called in to work. At 7, I called the doctor and was advised not to go in to Labory and Delivery until my contractions were 5-7 minutes apart or until my water broke or if I was just in unbearable pain. So we waited...

As the day dragged on my contractions were so irregualar, my mom was starting to question if it was real labor. To be honest, I did too. We had planned to have Travis' parents over for dinner that night and were going on with the plans. My mom wanted to make a quick trip to the grocery store, so Travis drove them and I decided to take a nap. By the time they got back my contractions were becoming longer and more intense. My mom started making dinner. By then I knew I wouldn't make it past dinner. As she continued to make dinner, I called my doctor again and told her what was happening and was advised to get to the hospital. Well, my mom had finished cooking dinner and wanted us to eat before we went. They ate I did not, I was in so much pain. My In-Laws were already on their way over and Travis called and told them the change of plans. They didn't come in but followed us to the hospital instead.

On we go to the hospital and when I get there, they are quick to get me to a room and checked. The nurse said I was 7 centimeters dialated and wouldn't be surprised if I have birth with in the next hour, it was 5:30. They had to hurry to get my paperwork done because I wanted the epidural. I sat there in pain as they asked me all sorts of question and signed my life away. Finally the epidural came and so did some relief and relaxation. The doctors decided to break my water, and I was told to wait until I was fully dialated.

I was fully dialated at about 9:30 and the nurse decided I should start pushing soon. By that point I was starting to feel some pressure from my contractions. The nurse told me that it was my body's way of letting me know it's ready for the baby to come out. At around 10 p.m. I started pushing and Carson came into the world at 11:31!


He came out kicking and screaming at 7lbs. 10oz. and 20 1/2 in. long

 So perfect in every way...
 with a full head of hair!!





1 comment:

  1. Awesome job, Mommy! So glad that Carson is here and that labor and delivery went smoothly! Enjoy having your baby in your arms. :) -Heather

    ReplyDelete